Food & Drink
Hearty Lentil and White Bean SoupRETURN TO FOOD & DRINK
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup brown lentils*
- 1/4 cup dry white wine*
- 2 (3-inch) Parmesan cheese rinds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
We love this recipe - it is quick (just 15 minutes to prep, 30 minutes to cook), easy and DELICIOUS. At just 213 calories per serving, it's also great for sticking to your diet. If you'd like to skip the white wine, just substitute additional chicken stock.
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Drain excess fat, reserving 2 tablespoons in the stockpot; transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add onion and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme and bay leaves until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken stock, lentils, wine and Parmesan rinds; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in cannellini beans and tomatoes until lentils are completely tender, about 10-15 minutes more.
- Serve immediately with bacon, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Original recipe by Chungah Rhee, at Damn Delicious: https://damndelicious.net/2018/03/12/hearty-lentil-and-white-bean-soup/